Who am I? My Speed Date Bio
My jumbled personal backstory (you can read about my professional bio here). Kind of like a speed date; random milestones; hard knocks included. Like all of you, my background is messy. It's made me who I am.
I'll try, pretend it's a speed date, I've given myself 3 minutes. These things help tell my story.
- I get out of bed at 5.
- I stand up to work.
- Strong coffee is my drug of choice.
- Married to the kindest bloke you could meet. We have 3 children - 12 year old Charlie, 10 year old Maya and 6 year old Imbi
- I couldn't get my first baby to sleep for 7 months.
- I was an overprotected & shy child.
- Daughter of a slightly mad alcoholic father - now gone. Kind mother who listened a lot but lost herself at 55 to Alzheimers Disease.
- Totally ruled by peer pressure during high school. Did many stupid things.
- Dull degree (Economics). Corporate jobs in banks & law firms (I quite enjoyed it).
- I hate public speaking.
- Shoplifted as a teen and got caught.
- Mothers Group saved my firstborn from the wheelie bin.
- I love indoor plants & all things 70's.
- I drink too much good wine.
- If I had a religion it would be Buddhism.
- I used to buy a lot of stuff - I've stopped.
- I intermittent fast. I drink bone broth.
- I'm uncomfortable with Western privilege.
- I was bonkers with my first child, neurotic - blame me for his hangups.
- My friends pay me out for buying everything organic.
- I let our wacky 3 children free range. I use the iPad as a babysitter.
- I quit yoga for pilates.
- I have a temper. My husband is the kindest person alive.
- My body was mangled by childbirth.
- I love giving advice.
- I micro-nap.
- Podcasts changed my life.
- I'm scared of the day my son drives (he's 12).
- My friends are my extended family.
- I hate it when good people get sick.
Life is nothing like I expected it would be after having kids.
My background is what has inspired me to write.
My hope is to stimulate my readers to make choices based on what matters, not just for their family but for themselves and the world around them.
I usually send out updates to the Thoughts On What Matters community once or twice a week. I'd love you to be a part of it. Subscribe below and I'll send you the latest articles + subscriber content to read and share with your friends.
Browse Recent Articles or Check out my Recommended Resources
It may traditionally have a slightly old-fashioned and daggy stigma about it, but touch typing is fast gaining street cred. It's a productivity skill I'm convinced is so important that I recently set my kids a challenge. Here's why I think touch typing is an essential skill for students.
After the funeral experience I went through with my mother, I don't have much love for the 'traditional' funeral process. I'd like my kids to experience something calmer and more simple. To have time to process their emotions. And I want to leave as little impact on the environment as possible.
Until very recently I'd given the 10,000 steps a day movement the cold shoulder. I didn't expect to be wearing a FitBit and tracking my daily steps. I've discovered why so many people are doing 10,000 steps.
Here's a simple productivity trick that will help sharpen your focus and stop you feeling overwhelmed. Not only that, you're likely to achieve 4 times more. Introducing the 90 Day Plan.
Sure, we need to consume things. But so many of us take consumption too far. We get caught up in unnecessary shopping, accumulating & bargain hunting. Apart from the obvious disadvantages to our world, our habit of over consumption costs us time & money. It can also stop us from doing things that really matter.
Have you let your self education and personal growth slide? You can restart today. Here's why I've never looked back since I started listening to podcasts. Here's a taster plate episodes to get you started. Plus the top 7 reasons why I love podcasts.
Are you a member of an online forum or community like Fizzle? Are you avoiding participation? If you are, you're missing out. I did a 7 Day Fizzle Forum Fling and was blown away by the experience. It's an investment in your personal development & the thing that matters to you - your blog, your business or your website
It's the birthday list time of the year. Does your child really need more stuff? Is it stuff that makes them truly happy? Both you and your tween or teen may learn a lot if you commit to the Stuff Free Birthday Challenge.
Do you often get to the end of the day and feel like your day lacked purpose? Like you didn't do anything that really mattered? A simple daily practice can make sure you go to bed each night feeling like you made a positive difference to someone else, each and every day.
The 2 Hour Work Block is a secret super power to help you achieve what matters and achieve your goals. The ultimate productivity technique.