Who am I? My Speed Date Bio
My jumbled personal backstory (you can read about my professional bio here). Kind of like a speed date; random milestones; hard knocks included. Like all of you, my background is messy. It's made me who I am.
I'll try, pretend it's a speed date, I've given myself 3 minutes. These things help tell my story.
- I get out of bed at 5.
- I stand up to work.
- Strong coffee is my drug of choice.
- Married to the kindest bloke you could meet. We have 3 children - 12 year old Charlie, 10 year old Maya and 6 year old Imbi
- I couldn't get my first baby to sleep for 7 months.
- I was an overprotected & shy child.
- Daughter of a slightly mad alcoholic father - now gone. Kind mother who listened a lot but lost herself at 55 to Alzheimers Disease.
- Totally ruled by peer pressure during high school. Did many stupid things.
- Dull degree (Economics). Corporate jobs in banks & law firms (I quite enjoyed it).
- I hate public speaking.
- Shoplifted as a teen and got caught.
- Mothers Group saved my firstborn from the wheelie bin.
- I love indoor plants & all things 70's.
- I drink too much good wine.
- If I had a religion it would be Buddhism.
- I used to buy a lot of stuff - I've stopped.
- I intermittent fast. I drink bone broth.
- I'm uncomfortable with Western privilege.
- I was bonkers with my first child, neurotic - blame me for his hangups.
- My friends pay me out for buying everything organic.
- I let our wacky 3 children free range. I use the iPad as a babysitter.
- I quit yoga for pilates.
- I have a temper. My husband is the kindest person alive.
- My body was mangled by childbirth.
- I love giving advice.
- I micro-nap.
- Podcasts changed my life.
- I'm scared of the day my son drives (he's 12).
- My friends are my extended family.
- I hate it when good people get sick.
Life is nothing like I expected it would be after having kids.
My background is what has inspired me to write.
My hope is to stimulate my readers to make choices based on what matters, not just for their family but for themselves and the world around them.
I usually send out updates to the Thoughts On What Matters community once or twice a week. I'd love you to be a part of it. Subscribe below and I'll send you the latest articles + subscriber content to read and share with your friends.